Woodrock Approved Treat Recipes
Liver Bread Recipe
How do you make this lovely liver bread treat …..
Puree in Blender:
- 500g raw liver (Any good quality liver. Our mom usually buy’s calf/cows liver from the butcher. A tip is to ask the butcher to already chop it up/mash it up for you)
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 ½ cups whole-wheat flour (or substitute with potato or rice flour if you don’t want wheat. Our mom normally replace’s part of the flour with cooked mashed sweet potato or pumpkin. You can be creative)
- 1 tea spoon baking soda (bicarbonate soda)
- 1 tablespoon green onion spice
- Add the blended mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
- Place mixture in a greased flat baking tray. Bake at 180ºC for about 12 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- Once cooled, cut into squares and serve.
- You can also freeze most of it and just take out pieces as needed.
- Be brave and add things that make sense. Some people add marmite, other spices, more vegies, more liver etc. Just have FUN.
- Substitute part with some mashed sweet potato, mashed pumpkin or/and with potato or rice flour if you don’t want wheat.
- Muffins: Place mixture in greased muffin tins. Bake at 180ºC for about 20 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- Birthday Cake: Place mixture in greased cake tins. Bake at 180ºC for about 25 minutes. (Check cooked through)
- For birthdays decorate with biltong and add a candle.
- You could use low fat smooth cream cheese or peanut butter to decorate (or mix both) . You can then stick doggy biscuits on if you make a cake. Just don’t use too much.
Rescue Penny’s Sweet Potato Chews
Penny’s mom Ina says “My doggies love it. They will stick their noses in the oven to get to it and the awesome part is that it is entirely natural with no additives or preservatives.”
- Sweet Potato
- Sharp Knife/Madolin
- Baking Sheet
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees Celcius.
- Wash Sweet Potaoes so that all the dirt is removed.
- Cut down the middle lengthwise.
- Then cut long lengthwise slices about 1cm thick.
- Place a single layer on a baking sheet sprayed with Spray & Cook.
- Bake for approximately 3 hours.
- You can bake the slices until they are crunchy but I prefer them a bit chewy.
- Leave in oven until completely cooled down.
- Store in an airtight container.
ENJOY !!! (maybe experiment with other vegetables like butternut?)